Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Grant Alan McRee - birth story

On Tuesday, June 20th I was getting ready for bed.  I was reading and watching TV.  I noticed after midnight (and I never stay up that late) that I was having some mild contractions around every 3-5 minutes.  I had some at the Dr. office the previous Friday, but I ate some lunch and drank some water and they went away.  I drank tons of water and laid down, but they just didn't stop.  Around 1:45 I decided to wake up Alan and tell him we probably needed to go over to Huntsville just to see what was going on.  He was so sure they were going to just send us home.  We called our neighbor Michelle over to sleep so we didn't have to wake the girls and headed out.  We arrived at Huntsville around 2:30am and they went ahead and got me in a room and hooked up to the monitors.  I was contracting very regularly and they justified my trip to the hospital (yay for me - I was so afraid they were just going to say false labor and go home!)  At this point I was only 36 weeks and 3 days - not quite full term.  I was only 60% effaced and 1 cm dilated.  The on-call Dr. ordered meds to stop the contractions.  I got shots of brethine and they would stop them for about an hour and then gradually start back up.  My new Dr. (Dr. McCain) came on call at 6:00.  He ordered another round of the brethine shots just to see.  The same thing happened so around 10:30 He checked me again and I was more thinned out so they ordered the c-section!  We were having our baby today!!  They moved pretty quick to get me ready and we were in the OR by 11:30ish.  At 11:53 I heard my sweet baby crying and he was absolutely perfect.  He was 6lbs. and 14oz. 20 inches long.  We had gotten the NICU spill about preterm white boys, but they immediately said no need for that!  They let me see him and then he and Alan were off.  My surgery was finished and then I was sent to recovery for over an hour. Afterwards we were moved to our room and around 2:30 I finally got my sweet baby!!  He had lots of dark hair and looked so much like Mallary did when she was born.  He definitely has his daddy's lips.

No comments: